Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A typical day

My days are fairly redundant. Well, at least in the overall scheme of things. I am lucky enough to be able to work from home -- while doing something that I absolutely love. This also gives me the flexibility to handle the two young boys and the three dogs. 

Once everyone in the house gets off to work or school in the morning, I usually jump head first into work. After a couple of hours, I will take a break so I can get things done around the house. Then, its back to work until the kids get off school. After an enjoyable afternoon of homework, we have a nice dinner and snuggle in with a good book before bed. 

Ok, ok, back to reality. That's a dream. It doesn't really go that way. In my mind, yes. But, let's just say there is always a twist, a turn, and three speedbumps before the kids even get out of school. Let's see, we have one dog -- Anna -- who is scared of anything and everything. This includes the broom, mop, and vacuum. Every time I pull out any one of these items, she scatters. Then she paces and she hides. We also have Elsa who, on a good day, keeps her teeth off of those three tools. Otherwise, she tries to bite them. Little Daisy follows behind her, as if letting her big sister do the dirty work before she jumps in on the action.

And then there is me -- the human in the middle -- trying to do a measly little household chore and I must look a bit nutty jumping to the right, darting to the left, all while swinging a broom in the air.  

Do you know how hard it is to sweep, vacuum, and mop with  2/3 of the dogs in attack mode? Sigh. Sometimes I just laugh out loud to myself (since there isn't anyone here to witness this) because, despite the frustration, its still ridiculously funny. 

Things around the house usually take longer than I ever anticipate that they should, which always throws off my workload. I'm hoping to get a hang of it all -- at least by the time school is out. 

Speaking of school, the kids come home and they automatically know that it is homework time -- immediately. If I give them any sort of break their mind just shuts down and locks out anything educational. Little boys sitting still and doing homework is much like me trying to sweep/mop/vacuum while fighting off dogs. It is hard! They want to run and play and enjoy their day! Oh my gosh -- just like the dogs. 

Dinnertime rolls around and we sit around the table and chat -- and try to convince the kids that they need to eat. By the time we cleanup from dinner, get the kids ready for bed, and can actually have a minute to sit down on the couch and exhale in relief that we made it through another day, a dog comes darting toward us, ball in mouth, ready to play -- with us or the other dogs (to which we then become nothing more to them than floor mats). 

This life is such a learning experience for me these days. It is full of crazy times, some painful times, and a lot of laughs. And lately a mixture of lavender candles and relaxing Soundscapes has brought a sense of peace to our house. Well, it has taken us from a level 63 down to maybe a 40.

Progress, not perfection -- that's what its about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment