Friday, December 29, 2017

Is it broken?

If you have ever spent any significant amount of time with young boys, then you know that you need to always have a first-aid kit on hand at all times. No joke. In fact, I carry a pouch in my purse that has a fix for nearly every potential disaster - headaches, stomach aches, falls, cuts, scrapes, burns, hangnails, allergic reactions, etc. Because, lets face it - the craziest things happen at the most unlikely times. You know, like when a boy trips and falls coming out of a clothes display at Target because he was startled that you were screaming his name so loudly inside the store. Bandage, please

When I hear a thud or a scream (and after I cringe and ask "what happened?"), I have learned from Tina that there are certain questions that I need to ask. Now, pay attention because these are important. They are: 

1. Are you bleeding?
2. Is it broken? Do you have any bones sticking out?
3. Are you dead? 

If the answer is no,
THEN YOU ARE FINE!

With the exception of one incident (a story for another day), this has worked well for us. The boys -- all 3 of them -- know the routine when there is an injury. Otherwise, they'd have us at the ER for all their bumps and bruises. Boys. Sigh. 

So, the funniest thing happened recently. AJ (the 10yr old) had a stomach ache at school so I had picked him up early. When we went back after school to pick Damian up, here is how the conversation went, as heard from the front seat: 

Damian: AJ, what happened? Why did you leave school early? 

AJ: I had a stomach ache so Michelle picked me up from the nurse.

Damian: AJ, you know you aren't allowed to go to the nurse unless you are bleeding, something is broken, or you are dead.

I sat there, looking forward at the road, and chuckled to myself at hearing this interaction. I am learning that some of the most insignificant things we say have such a lasting impact on kids. That's why we have to be sure to mix a lot of love into all the words you spill out - because kids ingest every bit of it. ❤❤❤❤❤


No comments:

Post a Comment